Friday 23 March 2007

What success is NOT ...

Hey Friends,

Don't get the wrong idea ... it's my lunch break so I am not slacking ... in fact, I can't do much now because the people that i am looking for are all having their break now.

In any case, I was reading some articles about some Nobel Laureate (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/). I was reading this particular guy, a Nobel prize winner in Chemistry in Year 2000, who died not too long ago, 7th February 2007 - Alan G. MacDiarmid. He actually quoted something that it kinda make a lot of sense to me lately especially now that I have been in the working force for nearly four years.

" Success is knowing that you have done your best and have exploited your God-given or gene-given abilities to the next maximum extent."

I realised that as long as I did my best in whatever I do, I am already a successful man. If we were to read all the many other autobiographies of those who are not successful in the worldly and secular sense, you would probably realised how blessed they are in their own unique way.

At this juncture, I would also like to draw an attention about humility. The lessons of humility is something that God has been teaching me lately. I have come to discover that people who are proud in themselves and forgetting that God is the one who has given them the knowledge, gifts, and ability to be where they are, that would lead them to pride. That's what pride is all about. It's so ironic that God has been sending me so many people in my life about humility. The fact that people who are arrogant and proud are actually insecure people, people who lack trust in themselves. I was awestruck by the fact that met this particular guy, Dr. Ramam. He was so humble that he came to approach me one day to introduce himself and share abit about himself. He was so approachable that I did not have much fear speaking to him. Little did I know later, after going back to NUS - Chemistry to meet former colleague of mine, Ms Wati, she mentioned to me who this person is. Dr. Ramam is one of the Cluster Manager, or simple put Head of Department for very big equipment (to put in lay man terms). When the Fusionpolis is set up, where all the seven A*STAR Research Institutes will be 'fused' together somewhere in Biopolis, He would be a very important person as most of the scientific equipment would be used in his department. I was really awestruck by his simplicity and humility. I learnt from this lesson that success has also nothing to do with your position or status but simplicity and humility.

Jesus, Himself have make it very clear to us that humility is a virtue that is very important in our lives. It is precisely in this following passage found in Matthew 11:29 that describes who He really is ...

"COme to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light".

If you study the Gospel of St. Matthew by Msgr Eugene Vaz, you would learnt that this particular passage is one of the most central message of the St. Matthew Gospel. The events before and after actually leads us to the central description of who Jesus really is. Hence, it shows that humility is a very important virture. But that does not meet we have to discount the rest of the virtues, and certainly love is the top priority as compared to the rest of the virtues that Christ teaches us.

Well, it's so ironic that it is in A*STAR - IMRE that God taught me so much about humility and at the same time showing me the difference between what dignity is and humility. Many times in our lives, we are not aware of it. So dear Lord Jesus, we would like to ask you teach us more about humility and what success really means.

Oh ya, just before i end off, I would like share something about 'distortion'. I realised that i have been so foolised in alot of sense. Deep inside me, I have great desire to be simple and precisely becasue of this desire, I sometimes see things in a very simplistic way and not able to see it in a different perspective as I am afraid that I might make some mistakes in my life. There are few things in my life which I felt that I have distorted ideas of ... take for instance, the word 'success', 'degree' ... to me, in the past, it is such a 'dirty' word. Even getting a degree is a dirty word for me .. can you believe it ... well, i have learnt and grew to accept that they are in fact gifts from God and getting a degree is a passport towards serving the bigger community out there. So long as we are doing it for the sake of pursuing a status I guess it should be fine. Ultimately, whatever we receive in life, we should be giving to those who does have ... isn't it .. why keep it to yourselves? I guess, with regards to success, it has some alot to do with Mother Teresa shared .. we are not called to be successful but to faithful .. well, i guess i have never fully understood what she meant but now, i have come to grasp it better, much better. Being successful is not wrong, but ultimately, we must always be conscious to know that we are doing it for the greater glory of God and that is to serve the society and community.

Anyway ... reading my super long messages ... hope i am not boring you guys ... enjoy your weekend and May God bless you in whatever you do ...

Colin Sng

No comments: